[ale] Write permission

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon May 16 17:58:13 EDT 2016

Binary names change daily or just the binaries? I don't really see this
as an issue. You'll want to have sudo call a script that you wrote (not
the devs) anyway.

On 05/16/16 17:12, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I like the sudo (used it many times) but the binaries are changing
> daily. Yes, can grant sudo as user foo to contents of folder bar and
> that may be part of the solution.
>
> On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 17:02 -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>> sudo isn't just to get access to the root account. It works great to
>> access other accounts, if configured for that.
>>
>> I've done some fairly complex things with sudo to provide access to
>> other accounts (non-root) for thousands of end users who needed to run a
>> few different programs as different userids. We controlled which options
>> were allow too - sudo has config options for that as well. By far, this
>> would be the easiest answer.
>>
>> On 05/16/16 16:43, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>>> Force the processes to run under a different userid that is locked
>>> down. Users would use sudo to access that other account and launch
>>> the program(s) with approved options only. Nothing else. That user
>>> account could have access to create an LV for all temporary data, if
>>> you wanted to go crazy. Just don't let their normal userids have
>>> access to the temporary areas. Are the programs developed in-house?
>>> Hard to stop the devs from making debug stuff write wherever they

> James P. Kinney III
>
> Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his
> own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.