[ale] Write permission

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 16 17:10:59 EDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 16:43 -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> Force the processes to run under a different userid that is locked
> down.
> Users would use sudo to access that other account and launch the
> program(s) with approved options only. Nothing else.  That user
> account
> could have access to create an LV for all temporary data, if you
> wanted
> to go crazy.  Just don't let their normal userids have access to the
> temporary areas.
A sudo process to run a script that launches their binaries from hard
coded folder and the running user can only write to a specific folder
for scratch and output.
> Are the programs developed in-house?  Hard to stop the devs from making
> debug stuff write wherever they want.

Yep. All custom garbageIO/code. Thus the need to lock down the output
space.
Everyone is trained on using the data safely. Looking for ways to block
deliberate rule breakers from putting data files in their home dirs.
Also to block them from scp that data to their laptops.
The more I poke at this the more I'm leaning towards an selinux rule
set. It _will_ work but it will be a bit of a performance hit. It still
all boils down to what is in the output files. Are substantial portions
copied? These are currently video files so single frames are ePHI.
Other groups use all custom binary data converted to text for
processing. It's supposed to be scrubbed but without a manual analysis,
not entirely certain.
> On 05/16/16 10:48, Jim Kinney wrote:
>

> > I'm trying to envision a process that will have some funky permissions
> > in play and would appreciate ideas.
> >
> > Data is sensitive and stored in encrypted partition. Only users in the
> > approved group can read in that folder.
> >
> > They need to run that data through custom code that may do temporary
> > writes somewhere. That will need to be locked down and either encrypted
> > or overwritten after use (or both). This is the easy part.
> >
> > I need to prevent that data from being written/copied anywhere else even
> > if they have write permission (home dir).
> >
> > I run CentOS 7 systems so I have selinux. However, once this scales off
> > the individual research system to the cluster, I've disabled selinux on
> > the cluster for performance reasons. I can activate it if the encrypted
> > folders are mounted and limit runs to specific nodes if always running.
> >
> > So I'm seeing (sort of. Not fully thought out yet) a rule that allows
> > data read with binaries of a particular type that can only write to
> > particular folders. Note that the final output of the data run is not
> > sensitive but intermediate data may be. To run a process requires
> > writing binary to specific folder. That folder forces all contents to be
> > special type that is subject to selinux rule.
> >
> > Can't allow users to directly read the files in order to disallow 'cat
> > file > newfile' to disallowed folder.
> >
> > Data files are (currently) video and output is ascii text so it's
> > possible to check file types on output before allowed to copy to new folder.
> >
> > However, the input data files may be ascii for a different groups work.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/