[ale] Meetup renewal time

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed May 11 09:18:27 EDT 2016

<rant>

I find googles ToS and general tracking of everything and everyone
online to be evil. If they didn't have the data, I'd feel better, but
data wants to be free, used, and abused.  Google will have a serious
breach at some point and all the data they have WILL be released.

The only way NOT to be worried is if they didn't keep the data at all.
Even so-called "sanitized data" can be used.

My negative stance on this begins with CATV tracking, goes through
automatic license plate tracking, road tracking for paid roads/lanes,
GSM/wifi/bluetooth signal tracking on roads, in malls and stores, goes
to all the web and email tracking out there.  Not just google, but all
the others, including all the lazy webmasters who have decided NOT to do
their own analytics and outsource that to google-analytics without asking.

BTW, I'm offended by people using gmail/hotmail/outlook/ymail or any of
the huge, centralized, email providers too.  Centralized email breaks
the ideas of federated services. There are smaller, free, email services
who DO respect your privacy AND mine.

Don't get me started about bookme/bookface chapsnap, and other unpaid
"cloud" services.  If it is free, then you and any data (including mine)
that you provide ARE the product.  Why do people give this freely?
"Cloud computing is careless computing." -RMS

Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean it is a good idea.  We
all use to ride motocycles without helmets, drive without seatbelts and
skateboard without any protection. I just hope this clear stupidity
(IMHO) of blindly trusting internet companies with our data ends sooner
than later.  Some governments are finally just starting to enact
protections for end-users. Until congress has an embarrassing leak or
tracking results, I fear we won't get that same level of protection here.

And hopefully we don't need to go over the "I don't have anything to
hide, so I don't mind" arguments.  If that's the case, send me all your
cloud logins. You don't have anything to hide, right?

</rant>
Whenever someone says "cloud", switch that to mean "on someone else's
computer" - if that doesn't bother you, fine.  Make a copy of everything
you do and let me have it. After all, you don't mind. <rbeg>

Sorry for that. Couldn't hold it in any longer.