[ale] MythTV/similar hardware recommendations

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Mar 31 14:46:12 EDT 2016

Schedule data isn't THAT bad anymore.  The only time I don't get a desired show
recorded is when some sporting event goes long or some natural disaster pre-emps
the programming.

For example, this week WSB has been running a red banner across the bottom of
their shows complaining that DirectTV isn't gonna pay them.  I don't give a crap
about direct TV's issue.  Weather stuff gets in the way sometimes too - then it
is just easier to grab the program from the network's streaming website - for
free later.

But we don't have any paid channels for CATV or AT*T or satellite, so nothing is
missed.  Some paid networks put up the shows and don't require a signin either,
so their shows are available.

Some of the networks have made this a little harder (CBS), but most make it
really easy - actually nicer than watching TV, IMHO.  Kodi has plugins to get
the stream and there aren't any commercials this way either. So I can put up
with the crap in broadcast TV, the station bugs, the commercials, the weather
banners, the pay-us-more banners, or I can
* get the show via streaming
* no commercials
* no sports interruptions/delays
* no weather bugs
* no station pay-us-more demands
* shows are generally available for a month, so if you watch for at a time,
* in hidef
and we have to wait 1 week for that to be available? That's the only downside.
Well, being able to discuss shows at the coffee machine the following day is out
too.  I suppose it comes with some data use, but there isn't any metering of
that on the plan, so it doesn't matter. May matter to some people.

Oh ... and with a VPN exit node "somewhere else", then ...  let's just say,
other options become available.  Just sayin'.

When my HDHRs become obsolete in a few years, not sure they will be replaced.

For someone who only watches 2-3 hrs of TV a week, this seems like a bunch of
effort for little payback. Certainly there are cheaper, easier, ways to get the
shows than having satellite.  WAF issues?