[ale] MythTV/similar hardware recommendations

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Mar 29 21:47:48 EDT 2016

Media sources?  ATSC?  CableCARD?  Something else?  For ATSC, get
SiliconDust HDHR network tuners.  If cableCARD, I didn't think Myth
supports the premium channels without going through an analog hole.
Though that only Microsoft Media Center worked with that DRM.

I don't use Myth for recording, so cannot suggest any other hardware,
but with ATSC, basically the PC just needs to safe the file in the
stream from the tuners - no great CPU needed - unless you want to find
commercials, skip them, or have them removed before viewing.  Removing
commercials will make the recordings 30% smaller.  Transcoding from
mpeg2 to h.264 will reduce that by 50% - 70-80% savings if you do both.
 Comskip will create EDL files that Kodi can use to skip commercials
during playback even if you don't remove them from the file. It isn't
perfect and gets confused on some network shows.

Yes, a R-Pi v2 can play 1080p content - ATSC is mpeg2, so you'll
**need** the commercial driver ($4 I thnk).  For h.264 playback, the
hardware hands that already - no extra license needed.  Of course, if
you transcode the mpeg2 --> h.264, then you don't need a license, just
enough CPU and time.

Come out some Sunday to a meeting and we can discuss this at length.
Lots of moving parts and options. Things that are important to me
probably aren't important to you.

I wouldn't bother with a fanless box. Put the box somewhere where the
noise doesn't matter and use a silent $50 player.  Almost anything can
be used, provided the video codecs are supported.  I use Plex for
real-time transcoding.

As to storage - 200G would be plenty for 2 days of hidef recordings -
lots of shows. I think about 200G is all I use in a week of recordings -
just to show the extra room.  When I go on vacation, I'll ssh into the
storage area and move recordings to storage with more room to be handled
when I return.