[ale] Best resources for learning Linux

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Tue Mar 29 09:31:36 EDT 2016

I 100% agree with what Jim said!  Trial and error on old hardware is how I got started working with Linux, and now I do it for a living.
For me, it was Slackware on my old 486 in the 90s.  From there, I moved on to SUSE and Red Hat.  Some of the struggles of getting early versions working on old hardware were some of the best learning experiences...  when you have a problem and no idea where to begin to look for a clue, you start exploring the system in ways you wouldn't otherwise.  These days, virtualization makes this a lot easier!  If you break something, you don't have to spend the whole day and night putting the system back right again.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer