[ale] KDE, Gnome, XFCE OT?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Mon Mar 28 13:33:52 EDT 2016

On Monday, March 28, 2016 11:09:00 AM DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 03/28/2016 09:54 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > My tuning time costs more than an extra pair of 16GB DIMMS.
>
> Fine.
> Deploy with way too much.
> Monitor for 2+ months.
> See that 512MB is needed and 1 CPU.
> Spend 10 seconds to reduce the memory allocation and CPU to the VM. Next
> reboot, solved.  System monitoring isn't a waste of time.
> Right-sizing isn't a waste of time.
>
> Being able to have 5 more VMs per physical server **is** a cost savings,
> after all.  We aren't aiming for 100% utilization, 80% on CPU is fine.
> Having a little free RAM for VM spikes is useful too.
>
> BTW, KVM does core memory sharing too, these days.  No need to spend
> $12K for VM licenses, plus $1K for any addon - you know - like backup
> software.  VMware is impressive and at that price, it should be.
>
> I need to go away now. Have an idea.

If enterprise support is needed, then go RHEV.  I have had it up and running
for two years in an enterprise environment with a latency sensitive
application.  For a small amount of money, something like $6K per server you
get unlimited RHEL guests (ie, no OS license costs) and CloudForms which will
allow you to automate your entire lifecycle and send you right size reports at
your defined frequency.

Ovirt is upstream of RHEV.  RHEV is at least 1/3 the cost of VMware.  Ovirt is
FREE.
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon at damtek.com