[ale] KDE, Gnome, XFCE OT?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sat Mar 26 19:38:29 EDT 2016

OK, Since I really don't want to hijack (ok, I do, just a little bit) anybody
else's thread:

I started out on KDE and it was pretty good.  But having three ways to get to
every piece of software was pretty strange for a newbie.  I never was sure
where an app was stored or the actual name for it.

I moved to Gnome and found it simple, and yet very capable of complex
customization.

Then someone decided to fix KDE and it became un-usable (to me).

OK, that simplified my life, I will just use Gnome.  Then Gnome was fixed.

It became unusable to me.

I will use XFCE.  It IS pretty good, but, and yet, it lacks a coherent thread
for all apps.

Unity.  well, it's better than Gnome shell (tm).  Gnome shell.  well, its
Gnome Shell, what gnome became after someone fixed what was a perfectly usable
interface.

What's wrong with a menu?  I like Menus.  I don't like typing and hoping that,
somehow, I will remember the correct name of some app.  Everybody wants to
make a computer interface that will work on a mobile device.  Why?  I expect
my computer to be a computer and my mobile device to be, well, a mobile
device.  Completely different use case.

If you use Gnome, and install a dock, like docky (to simple) or Cario dock, it
then becomes usable in terms of productivity.

Oh, but wait, now I can't use Gnome because I break with Canon and use
proprietary drivers, and no, before  you ask, open drivers do NOT compare to
the performance levels in either processing 3d graphics nor in just making the
desktop "Pop".  GDM does not work with ATI drivers.

so.  16 years after I started, I am trying out KDE Plasma. JUST installed.
This is typed in Kmail, one of my former past favorites of all desktop email
apps (so much so, I used to install KDE PIM in xfce4).  First impressions are
pretty good.  Do you know, it actually has menus.?  I shall see what I think
in a week or two.

After I install Catalyst drivers in Fedora 23.  Excuse me for liking to unwind
by killing a few random bad guy/zombies and actually having a frame rate that
makes it seamless.

One more thing,  GET OFF MY GRASS!

*opinions expressed are those of the author.  Views differing from those
expressed are understood to be wrong and with out subjective merit.
--
Damon
damon at damtek.com