[ale] [OFF TOPIC] Tax time

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Mar 17 17:11:41 EDT 2016

Actually this isn't new in the world.   They have always reduced your SS benefit based on all other earnings.

The old rule used be along the lines they'd take away $1  from SS for every $2 you earned.

I'm not a CPA nor a tax expert but  it seems to me your "earnings" in a ROTH are the interest not the money you deposited because as you noted you were already taxed on that.

This link says clearly the ROTH money isn't taxable:
http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/articles/2015/02/09/how-to-reduce-taxes-on-your-social-security-payments

" However, money withdrawn from Roth accounts in retirement, which is typically not a taxable event, will not contribute to making your Social Security benefit taxable."

It even suggests you could convert 401(k) and other accounts to ROTH to avoid this taxation on Social Security benefits.  Presumably you'd have to pay taxes at the conversion though since the money in a 401(k) or traditional IRA was NOT taxed when it was deposited.