[ale] Do not fight the Nazgul

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Thu Mar 3 20:42:35 EST 2016

Sometime around 1993 while working for the US Deparment of Energy's
Savannah River Operations Office, I attended a seminar held at a uni in
Kansas City (perhaps UMKC; I don't remember) about X.400 messaging. It
was held in a interoperability lab where they were trying to cobble
together collections of various X.400 apps as well as platforms and
network stacks. I remember that they had several x86 PCs that could
dual-boot between Windows 3.1 and something that I think was called
Interactive Unix. It was this experience plus my prior experience with
Banyan VINES (a network OS that was based on AT&T System V that ran
behind the scenes and made Novell NetWare look like it was produced by
Fisher-Price) was what got me on the idea of putting serious
DEC-VMS-level OSses on x86 hardware and by 1995 I began investigating
Linux and some shrinkwapped curiosity from Microsoft called Windows NT
that I had seen demonstrated at a trade show but no one else seemed to
know anything about.