[ale] OT: HAM gear

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jun 22 20:19:39 EDT 2016

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 13:51:55 -0400
Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:

> Yes, the TW1000 is a general coverage short wave receiver normally
> used for broadcast reception while the S38 was designed as a general
> coverage communications receiver for the ham bands.  They are both
> early '50s to '60 vintage.  The S38 was very popular.  Perhaps the
> most popular receiver in the late '50s.  The "E" model was the latest.
>
> Jim.

Maybe someone can help me.

I'd like to make a solid state regenerative receiver to receive
0.5Mhz-30Mhz, obviously using several different coils. The reason I
chose regen is the same reason I use Linux (and in fact Void Linux): I
want to be able to repair and enhance my own stuff. The reason I want
it solid state is I don't want to be mail ordering tubes and driving 50
miles to find a tube tester, and I want to use a 9 volt battery to
limit 60 cycle hum.

Ideally I'd like a kit, but the kits I've found have big gaps in the
broadcast listener band like 25 meters and 49 meters. Also, I'm going
to make sure I have not only a fine tuning, but a fine regeneration. I
haven't found a kit that looked like the right thing for me.

Right now my thought is a process, where I start by protoboarding the
first circuit on this page:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/regen.html

The reason for starting there is I can use commercial coils instead of
winding my own. Then I'll probably do something like this:

http://www.w7ekb.com/glowbugs/rx/Regens/FETREGN2.gif

In the preceding, I don't know what a "AF Interstage Transformer (tube
type) is, so I'll need to find that out. With this design, I'd need to
wind the coils.

Then I'd probably move on to the "If you decide to build a radio from
scratch, this is the schematic I suggest you use" diagram on this page:

http://www.geojohn.org/Radios/MyRadios/RegenSW/RegenSW.html#Chapter_2

In the preceding, I'd be winding coils with three windings: RF input,
tank circuit and tickler.

The following link is to a kit form of approximately the preceding
radio:

http://qrpkits.com/scoutregen.html

The preceding is informative, especially on coil winding. I might just
buy the kit, although it's not exactly what I want.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb