[ale] USB "duplicate" drive issue on CentOS

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Fri Jun 17 10:38:47 EDT 2016

For now, I've added:

cryptsetup luksClose DRIVE_NAME
crypsetup luksOpen  --key-File /dev/disk/by-uid/xxxxxxxxxxxx DRIVE_NAME

to my daily script.

Doing it manually like this, cryptsetup doesn't seem to care that there's a
duplicate device id and it opens the disk regardless, allowing it to mount
when accessed and the backup script runs successfully (still using
autofs) .

Thanks for the ideas. I still need to do something more elegant for a
permanent solution, probably involving udev.

Still, most odd that it works fine on several identical boxes, but not on
others. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the USB3 cards in some servers are
flakey. Testing that hypotheses is tricky as these are remote sites with
extremely non tech-savvy people on site.

ed

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>
wrote:

> Right, I wrote that in the last of my examples.  A rule that checks the
> ID and runs the mount script.
>
> On 2016-06-17 06:17, Phil Turmel wrote:
> > For the OP, bus and port and usb serial don't really matter.  He's
> > getting reliable /dev/disk/by-id/ symlinks -- doesn't need more.  But an
> > udev rule can run a script on any newly inserted disk to check if it's a
> > backup disk, and which one, and conditionally spawn the backup process.
> >
> > On 06/16/2016 11:52 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> >>     *From: *"Alex Carver" <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>
> >
> >>     However, these devices I'm using do not have unique serial numbers
> which
> >>     is why I'm working with them via their bus number.
> >
> >> I do the same.  USB port = tty name

*Edward O. Holcroft*
IT Operations Manager

*Madsen, Kneppers & Associates, Inc.*
Construction Consultants & Engineers
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250
Johns Creek, GA 30097

*O*  770.446.9606  |  *F*  770.446.9612  |  *C*  770.630.0949  |
eholcroft at mkainc.com

www.mkainc.com

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not