[ale] 3 days of 3+ hrs Comcast Outages!

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Jun 8 20:08:56 EDT 2016

Thanks for the note.

I called yesterday and was talked out of a truck roll (for various reasons).
They did give me a $50 credit.  The CSR said the modem had low signal.

Had 3 outages today for over an hour each. Should have gotten the truck here. I
call them outages. Comcast doesn't until enough people are impacted.

Last Wednesday they had some major equipment fail for our area. It was replaced,
but since they've been having lots of reported issues with bad connections, so
they've been tweaking settings (my guess, not what he said).  Could be a new
model of equipment or a new tech in the area or the initial installer was near
shift end and didn't do everything correctly, or .... 50 other things.  The node
controls access for 500 customers.  Business and residential are on different
logical networks and managed separately.  This is why we can't all just say
"comcast", but need to be specific.

I'm on an SMC router from 2010 (bridge mode only).  My internal router manages
the /29.  Their router stopped letting me login last year, but since there
really isn't anything I need/use from it except modem stuff, didn't care.

Also learned that Comcast automatically cancels all appointments when an area is
declared an "outage". Not certain if "all" is all or just trouble tickets. That
explains all the times they never showed up here when I had appointments. Then
when I called made up some crazy, untrue, claims that I wasn't home - complete
BS. Hasn't happened recently - the connection has been fairly stable for years.