[ale] Sensor nuts

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Jun 8 15:03:11 EDT 2016

It's an interesting device but I think it's lacking for what you're
really attempting to do.  The data sheet from Sharp does not make any
claims about the final particle size that it can potentially detect (not
measure, that's an important distinction).  It mentions just "smoke" in
the datasheet which is probalby going to be around 1 micron diameter for
average smoke.  However, there are a range of particulates in the air
that are smaller than 1 micron (the EPA tracks PM10 and PM2.5 which is
10 microns and smaller and 2.5 microns and smaller).

For a short list:  Household dust has an expected range of 0.05 - 100
microns, atmospheric dust (important if windows are open) ranges 0.001 -
40, wood smoke is 0.2 - 3, rosin smoke (from solder) is 0.01 - 1,
tobacco smoke is 0.01 - 4, and anything combustion related including
cars is 0.01 - 2.5.

The problem with this detector is that it can't distinguish size, only
density.  So 10 particles at 10 microns diameter is the same as 1
particle of 100 microns or 100 particles of 1 micron (roughly).  It's a
reflectance measurement so it relies on the total cross section of all
particles in its field of view and makes an aggregate measurement.

This sensor will basically be able to tell you "this room is % dusty"
but it can't say "there's lots of floating hair combined with very fine
pollen or soot" or "your chimney flue is not open enough and causing
some smoke to back up into the house".  It's also not a forced air
sensor so sampling is not going to be right since it will depend on dust
settling into the detector opening.

What you actually need is a forced air, laser based sensor that can
distinguish sizes.  There are many around that could work within a
budget and give you some better numbers.    Here is one I found with a
quick search of "laser particulate sensor":

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1272&search=SEN0177&description=true

Or you can get more commercial versions that have more bins for the
particle sizes:

http://www.nano-sense.com/en/P4000/p4000-fine-particles-probe.html

http://www.sens2b-sensors.com/en/item/pm2-5-laser-particle-sensor-module-for-air-purifier-application

Just keep searching for other options but make sure it bins into various
sizes instead of lumping everything into a single measurement.