[ale] Party like it is 1995

maddog@li.org jonhall80 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 14:47:53 EDT 2016

>CDE was not free in those days.

Depends on what you mean by the word "Free", Pilgrim.

Most of the vendors that had workstations bundled CDE "runtime" in with their systems, so your application could dynamically link to it.

"Developers Kits" (wow, that sounds so dated) would typically sell with the compilers, although some vendors gave them out for free.

>Not being free probably explains whey there is not a plethora of free software out on the net for 'dt'.

A bit.  But Motif (and CDE) were "too little, too late".  In those days workstations of proprietary architectures (HP, IBM, DEC, even Sun) were being used as servers, not desktops.  The desktop had been ceded to inexpensive Intel machines running (typically) Microsoft.  The few "graphical developers" out there that used Unix on the desktop were really not interested in creating applications for the (relatively) few Unix systems used on the desktop.

In 1994, as GNU/Linux started to creep out onto the desktop, GTK+ and Qt were making their way as toolkits, and of course Gnome and KDE started up as desktops.

Never equate "difficulty in doing a port" as a reason for people not creating applications.  Volume (or the lack of it) is much more the deciding factor.

Warmest regards,

maddog