[ale] 3 days of 3+ hrs Comcast Outages!

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Jun 7 13:59:38 EDT 2016

USB3-to-GigE questions ...

>From a chromebook through 2 GigE switches to a ¨server¨.  Server (really
an old Shuttle desktop) has Intel PRO/1000 NICs.  Client is using a
USB3-to-GigE adapter, model
===================
  *-network:1
       physical id: 2
       bus info: usb at 2:1.1
       logical name: enx0023553c2337
       serial: 00:23:55:xx:xx:xx
       size: 1Gbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       capabilities: ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt
100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
driver=ax88179_178a duplex=full ip=172.22.22.13 link=yes multicast=yes
port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
===================
$ iperf -c hadar
Client connecting to hadar, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
[  3] local 172.22.22.13 port 43168 connected with 172.22.22.6 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.07 GBytes   921 Mbits/sec

Not all distros include the driver with this USB3-to-ethernet adapter.
Ubuntu Server doesn´t, but the installer and desktop distros do, for
example.

No jumbo frames.  Tried those years ago, but it broke NTP on the network
and 920Gbps is plenty fast.

I see about that speed between all the other GigE capable systems too.
Gone out of my way since 2006-ish to only get GigE systems if there was
any choice. Early cheap NICs only did about 250Mbps, but as machines got
faster and faster, the NIC performance for cheap GigE got better and
better. As that happened, the PRO/1000 NICs dropped from $500, to $120,
to $50, to $25.  Between $20 for a no-name NIC that has driver hassles
and $25 for an Intel PRO/1000 with ZERO driver hassles - they get my
extra $5 every time.  Not all PRO/1000s are the same either. There were
some made in Mexico which would lock up if some specially crafted SIP
traffic was seen - I had one of those, $25 replacement solved that. That
probably NIC never gave me any issues, but I do run SIP traffic on the
network and didn´t want to worry about it.

Of course, other people will have different outcomes and make different
decisions.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.
The USB3-to-GigE adapter I got on amazon isn´t there anymore. Unitek was
the brand on the outside, but there are 5 other makers with exactly the
same outside, just different name-plate.