[ale] OT: Ethernet over power line

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Jul 25 11:48:24 EDT 2016

http://blog.jdpfu.com/2015/08/27/powerline-ethernet-adapters is my experience.

Wiring of the house matters, but I never tried in the same socket.  There could
be a minimum distance needed.  Try across the room before taking it back.

OTOH, just like wifi speeds, the marketing guys on these things get to decide
what number to put on the box, which has ZERO to do with real-world use from
anyone I know.  The FTC should get involved with these sets of liars - powerline
and wifi.

Plus, aren't 500Mbps connections usually 10/100?  That would mean that 11MB/s is
about the best you can ever hope to get.  On mine, the connections are GigE.
Just be very certain that you are clear on MB/s vs Mb/s.  It might be doing all
the plug allows, if that mistake was made.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-powerline-networking-kit/ has their picks.
Often I find their recommendations unsuitable for my needs, but can see where
people who don't want to do any research might appreciate the simplicity.

Then there is http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view ...
while his throughput numbers don't match mine for the same equipment, his
testing is similar to what I would do myself.

But with powerline and wifi networking, there are only 3 important things to
know. Location, location, location ... er ... just like real estate. ;)

IMHO.