[ale] OT: Ethernet wiring

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:08:59 EDT 2016

Cat6 will do 10G for short runs under 10 meters. The Cat6e is 10G for the
full run of 300 meters.

Cat5e will do 1G for 300 meters.

Cat5 is 100M for 300m and 1G for 10m.

Cat3 is thermostat wire.

Cat7 is damned expensive and so are all components it connects with. It
will do 100G. Not sure if it's 10m or 300m range.