[ale] OT: Ethernet wiring

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Jul 19 12:29:58 EDT 2016

CAT6 is nice when you need extra shielding, but won't ever do more than
1Gbps.  CAT5e has double the requirement to provide 1Gbps.  I bought a
bunch of CAT6, thinking it would support 10G ethernet over copper. That
never happened and doesn't look likely today.

So ... if you don't have a reason to have more shielding or thicker
cables, CAT5e (not just CAT5) is absolutely fine. Save the money.

Can anyone correct me?

On 07/19/2016 12:02 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Phone wires are NOT CAT5. They are CAT3 at best. Most are not CAT rated
> at all.  So yes, you can put ethernet signals on them but the speed will
> be crap AND phone lines are not star topology with a hub/switch. They
> are all common connector. You might get 1-2 Mbps on phone wires.
>
> Get "Plenum Rate Wire" and run real CAT6 through the duckwork and
> terminate in a socket next to each duck and pull the bundle out of the
> duct before the furnace (try and use only air return duct). Be sure to
> seal the holes in the duct with plenum putty that is fire rated
> (electrical fire putty is fine).
>
> Yes, CAT5 has 4 pairs and only 2 are used for 100Mbps. The remaining 2
> pairs are used in 1Gbps and PoE for GHz ground plane and power.
>
> On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 11:36 -0400, Boris Borisov wrote:
>>
>> Can I use one cat 5 cable to run two links. Since 4 wires are essential.
>>
>> Idea to use existing phone wiring in the house.

> James P. Kinney III
>
> Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his
> own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.