[ale] OT: Ethernet wiring

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 12:02:18 EDT 2016

Phone wires are NOT CAT5. They are CAT3 at best. Most are not CAT rated
at all.  So yes, you can put ethernet signals on them but the speed
will be crap AND phone lines are not star topology with a hub/switch.
They are all common connector. You might get 1-2 Mbps on phone wires.

Get "Plenum Rate Wire" and run real CAT6 through the duckwork and
terminate in a socket next to each duck and pull the bundle out of the
duct before the furnace (try and use only air return duct). Be sure to
seal the holes in the duct with plenum putty that is fire rated
(electrical fire putty is fine).

Yes, CAT5 has 4 pairs and only 2 are used for 100Mbps. The remaining 2
pairs are used in 1Gbps and PoE for GHz ground plane and power.

On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 11:36 -0400, Boris Borisov wrote:
> > Can I use one cat 5 cable to run two links. Since 4 wires are
essential.
> Idea to use existing phone wiring in the house.
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/