[ale] OT: International Cell Service

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Jul 12 13:06:34 EDT 2016

Never been to NZ or AU, but have been lots of other places.

Get/use a standard GSM smartphone, if you actually care about having
phone service - I don't. Data is very handy, however. Find that email
and GPS are the main applications I use when on travel.  Don't trust
that google maps will work where you go. Get offline maps - usually
Navmii World will have OSM maps which are great ... but lack the huge
POI DB that others will have.

Been traveling with Nexus4 and GS3 phones for some time.  Usually do a
little research in advance to see what the 7 day 1Gb data costs are.
Not all providers are compatible with all phones.  Actually had a GSM
provider in South Africa NOT work with my Nexus4 phone, but did work
with a GS4. They didn't know why that was.

Oh ... and certain t-mobile plans include 2G international data roaming
- no extra charge. Sadly, none of their PAYG plans work that way.  2G
data is sufficient for GPS and quick tourist lookups, but not for
uploading data back to servers in the USA. Wait for wifi connections for
that. Pretty much every restaurant has free wifi these days.

Applications for when you don't have data:
  http://blog.jdpfu.com/2013/04/07/no-data-required-android-travel-apps
updates last Feb.  Be certain to load a currency converter - don't make
a deal that isn't due to flawed currency calculations. That site is up
and down all day ... still having connection issues to resolve with
Comcast - will probably move the demark point.

Don't expect a great deal getting a SIM + data overseas, but it won't be
as expensive as in the USA. Every country has different rules, so
sometimes data can only be purchased for 7 days at a time due to
government requirements. Some places, they don't allow non-locals to
have cell phones, so there are rental companies.  I haven't looked at AU
or NZ - those probably work easily. Find a mobile store at the airport
or mall and give them about $20-30 for a 1 week plan.

On 07/12/2016 08:32 AM, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:
> I’ll be going to Australia and New Zealand and am thinking about getting
> temporary cell service to use while out of the country.
>

> I’ve done some brief research but am wondering what others on the list
> have done for international trips if anything.
>

> This is for personal use not work.
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or
> confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended
> recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is
> prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic
> transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you
> have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.