[ale] RTL8821AE Disable 5GHz

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Jan 31 14:50:53 EST 2016

Bit confused about "SSB with dongle only". I bought a SDRPlay RSP Monday and am running CubicSDR under Linux. It is only reception and it does SSB, AM, FM,WFM, etc, etc. Software can even do USB decode on 20M, send to a virtual sound card and then another program can do FSK decode of the USB. I also have the RT based DVB-T dongles we use for SDR, but it only does VHF/UHF range. To do HF using that you need an upconverter which takes you closer to $100 total cost. The SDRPlay was $150 at HRO. Does 100KHz to 2GHz. Has a great community. You can also see up to 8MHz of spectrum at once on the SDRPlay.

Last night I while learning the CubicSDR software I was able to decode CW, LSB, USB, AM, and WFM. Plays through the speakers just like any other audio.

SDR is CPU intensive since much of the demodulation work is done on the computer. I have an Elecraft KX3. It is a SDR, but the "computer" is attached with knobs, buttons, etc. I do not own a Flex. Flex radios require a Windows PC. Even so, my main issue there is that I spend much of the day programming and doing computer based work that I would prefer a more traditional radio when enjoying that hobby.