[ale] Opensource Enterprise Backups

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:46:11 EST 2016

Two bits of fun on this:
1 - Bacula assumes all config files, including on winders, are utf-8.
Winders uses utf-16. Bacula is supposed to convert utf-16 to utf-8
automagically but it has been known to not happen. Best solution is to
edit config files in notepad then set character set inside notepad to
utf-8.
2 - Put all strings in double quotes only. No exceptions. With this,
the spaces in names should work fine with any ascii characters. The
backslash is the escape character and is only used to escape a
backslash or a double quote.
So a section to backup files
files = "C:\\\\users\\*\\My Documents"
should backup all "My Documents" folders on the C drive under users
regardless of user name.
On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 11:16 -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Some many years ago when Bacula was fairly new, I tried to use it.
> That
> was back when my wife was still on Windows.  No matter how hard I
> tried,
> I could never get Bacula's regular expressions to like spaces in
> file
> names.  I was trying to exclude some directories like "C:\IE Cache"
> or
> some such.  No amount of quotes, double quotes, backslash escapes,
> etc.
> ever worked.  There was no one to ask at the time.  I finally gave
> up.
> I am certain that by now someone has the key.  I liked it a
> lot.  Except
> for that, I'd probably still be using it.
>
> I'm using rdiff-backup almost exclusively now.
>
> Jim.
>
> On 01/21/2016 09:07 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> >
> > Anyone using one of these like Bacula or Amanda that would care to
> > comment on the following?

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain