[ale] Opensource Enterprise Backups

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 09:28:17 EST 2016

Bacula is quite amazing. It's the only backup solution I use.

It's tedious to setup and the documentation is so detailed it can be
overwhelming.

Currently I use it with some LTO6 tape libraries. One has a single drive
and the other has dual.

I have small pool used for worm tapes for off site backup/archive. Manual
insertion plus a library scan, incremental backup of specific area to worm
pool will pull the worm tape. Release when done, export and store elsewhere.

Take the time to master the bacula bare-iron recovery of itself. Had to use
it once and it totally saved my bacon. Raid controller freaked and wrote
crap to drive array until the system crashed. Replaced controller (and
drives) and pulled out the panic disk. Booted it, ran the OS restore from
tape, rebooted, ran second restore for other stuff (very busy machine with
multiple partitions and functions -backups and samba), rebooted, back to
other things.

The bacula-web gives pretty pictures for PHB consumption.

The windows client works well. Not tried some of the other stuff.