[ale] syslinux problem making bootable usb

Ken Cochran kwc at shell.TheWorld.com
Thu Jan 21 09:07:00 EST 2016

Ok, here's the scenario so far:

Friend wants me to reset (probably clear/delete) password on his
Win7 box.

Got both USB & ISO from http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
USB worked jus fine some months ago, was someone's XP box IIRC.

Have had on hand gparted for some time, as I use it from time to
time.  Never had a problem with it.

Have on hand 2 cheap 2gb USB thumbdrives, one from Microcenter (they
tell me it's Kingston I think) & one from a tradeshow SWAG bowl.

Ok, before I try it out in the wild, let's try it on a couple of
my own systems:  HP 7200SFF and Lenovo T420, both Microcenter
refurbs and both having been repartitioned with USB-booted
gparted when acquired about a year ago & both been running fine.

Gparted works on either (cheap) USB device and on both computers.
Chntpw does not work with either USB device or on either computer.
Have tried chntpw via syslinux, YUMI & some thing called "rufus."
Just for fun tried gparted with YUMI & that didn't work either but
gparted works fine with its own setup, which uses syslinux I think.

I could use some Good & Proper way to handle the Top Item - what
I'm doing so far just Isn't Cutting It...  {sigh}  -kc