[ale] Cron Management

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 10:52:06 EST 2016

Below…

Jerald Sheets
questy at gmail.com

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 10:19 AM, DJ-Pfulio <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:
>
> For really complex needs, people use Ansible to manage puppet environments. ;)

If you have to do this, you just don’t Puppet good.  Completely unnecessary, and we’re partners of both companies.  Each one is a targeted use to slightly different purposes and in slightly different ways according to the companies themselves.

Having traveled the US and implementing Puppet as well as doing professional services on behalf of Puppet Labs directly for Huge and small companies (over 40 now), I can corroborate this first-hand.

> Both tools have their strengths.  I'd use Ansible to manage cron and scripts to
> manage completion dependencies with "lock files" to prevent tasks from running
> before they can/should.

The “cron” and “schedule” resources manhandle precisely this use case in both the Community and Enterprise products.  The functionality is nearly identical between Puppet and Ansible.  Again, I think you have a preference.  The technologies don’t really supplant each other here.

> Of course, judicious bash scripting would clean up any
> of these files automatically (see Michael Porter's Bash Scripting presentation
> for trap info).

I’ve nearly been able to eliminate carting around my library of BASH.  It’s mostly manifests now (or recipes depending on the implementation).

> Yep. I'd use Ansible. Plus it looks good on a current resume. ;)

Of course, it’s a RedHat product now, so I’m sure the certification will put it in the doghouse with us ALE-ers here soon.  ;)

You’re right, though.  ANYTHING automation or DEVOPS-y in nature is making my phone melt.  Hence I no longer include my phone number in my online profiles or the resume stored in GitHub.

—j