[ale] OT: it is only me or ... ?

Dylan Northrup ale at doc-x.net
Fri Jan 15 11:15:02 EST 2016

I'm a fan of workplace transparency.  I've seen many times where
keeping information segregated has led to incredibly poor results and
many fewer times where it's led to better results.  Make information
available and, borrowing one of the brilliant ideas from the US
Military, empower leadership by providing direction and motivation
while not restricting methodology (at least ideally).  Let people
closer to the action know the overall strategy and let them be
flexible in the tactics they use to achieve the overall goals.

Making pay transparent tends to lead toward everyone being raised up
to the same level as well as providing clear examples for people to
emulate if they want to move ahead from a pay perspective ("Oh, Alice
is making $100k a year and has a CCIE. If I get a CCIE, I should be
able to get a bump in pay as well.").  Making pay opaque tends to
reward better negotiators over talent, experience, etc.

Just my two cents.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure that will make for fun stuff for statistics later.
>
> I like the idea that all companies who do business with public money have to
> publish financials and pay ranges per job title and the number of people
> with that title.
>
> Of course I still want free beer on Tuesdays, too. :-)
>
> On Jan 14, 2016 7:56 AM, "Boris Borisov" <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another example even little funny for me :
>>
>> Slashdot
>>
>> "More employers, from Whole Foods Market, with 91,000 employees, to
>> smaller companies such as SumAll and Squaremouth, are opening up companywide
>> salary information to all employees. They generally don't disclose it to the
>> public—but one company, Buffer, posts all employees' salaries on its
>> website. The idea of open pay is to get pay and performance problems out on
>> the table for discussion, eliminate salary inequities and spark better
>> performance. But open pay also is sparking some awkward conversations
>> between co-workers comparing their paychecks, and puncturing egos among
>> those whose salaries don't sync with their self-image."
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 12:00 PM, DjPfulio <DjPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Noon. Finally. Beer-o-clock.

>>> --
>>> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Dylan Northrup
"Adversity is just change we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."
  - Aimee Mullins