[ale] Alright, it's time to move on from Linode

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jan 10 13:49:46 EST 2016

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 22:26:46 -0500
Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> Since you've written your own init systems and the like and are
> *such* an expert there, I'll leave the actual exercise of the C code
> to you.

I'll leave the rest of Michael's post to stand on its own merit, but
feel it necessary to clarify the preceding assertion...

I've never written an init system. I have no incentive to do so,
because Epoch, Runit and s6 do everything I need. After using Runit the
last 3 months, I feel absolutely no desire to switch inits.

Perhaps Michael was referring to the fact that I cobbled together a
functional init out of the Suckless Init PID1 plus Bruce Guenter's
daemontools-encore process supervisor plus a set of shellscripts I call
LittKit to enforce startup ordering on daemontools-encore. Or the fact
that I later substituted Rich Felker's 16 line PID1 for Suckless Init:

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/suckless_init_on_plop.htm

Perhaps the "you've written your own init systems" refers to the fact
that I've installed non-packaged, straight-from-the-upstream Runit and
Epoch inits on distros like Manjaro and Centos.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm

But take it from me: I've never created an init from scratch. I leave
that to people a lot smarter than I: Gerrit Pape, Subsentient, and
Laurent Bercot.

My apologies to anyone who got the idea that I had written my own init
systems from scratch.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28