[ale] Alright, it's time to move on from Linode

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Fri Jan 8 19:23:45 EST 2016

On 1/8/2016 5:39 PM, James Sumners wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM, chip <chip.gwyn at gmail.com
> <mailto:chip.gwyn at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Take a look at Vultr.com, can do it there.  They have hosting in
>     Atlanta too.  They're basically the economy choopa stuff.
>

> That's looking rather nice. $5/mo for 1TB of transfer and plenty of
> resources for my needs.
Not that I have any horse in the race or anything, but as a cloud
service consumer here's a few of my observations...

First off, I have/currently use LInode, AWS and DigitalOcean... Mainly
for one simple reason, all 3 providers have good support with SaltStack
so I don't actually have to log into their UI to do anything to manage
my servers from cradle to grave.

I will say I did look at Vultr and they do have some nice features and
it does appear that Apache libcloud [1] does have support for Vultr
which would make a SaltStack salt-cloud driver realistically possible
though doesn't currently exist. I was really floored by their benchmark
comparisons [2] and how much it was apples and oranges. I loved how they
compare a 768MB/1CPU Vultr system for $5/month against a 3.75GB/2CPU AWS
C3.Large that will run you around $78/month on-demand or between
$29-54/month depending on reserved instance pricing or their 2GB/2CPU
Vultr system for $20/month against the 3.75GB/1CPU AWS M3.Large with run
costs abount $99/month on-demand and
$39-71/month reserved instance. Comparing against an AWS T2 instance
(nano 512MB/1CPU or micro 1GB/1CPU) would have seemed like better
candidate for comparison against the 768MB Vultr and runs closer
($5/month t2.nano or $10/month t2.micro on-demand or $2-4/month t2.nano
or $6-7/month t2.micro reserved instance). Likewise a t2.small or
t2.medium would have been better comparisons for the 2GB Vultr. It
looked like they went out of their way to pick the most expensive option
to compare so their numbers looked better.  I found a blog [3] that
seemed to give a better comparison in fact.

Otherwise the pricing between DO and Vultr doesn't appear to really be
all that difference comparing plans either. That said I may have to
check out Vultr and see if I can't get the salt-cloud driver working.
Cost being low enough I wouldn't mind throwing some money at it to get
another cloud provider option made available to me. I like having the
ability to launch and deploy my hosts to any SaltStack supported cloud
provider for a DR/BC perspective and keeps me from being locked into any
one provider. Then again I'm not worried about uploading custom ISO
images and if I were I'd simply build and deploy those to AWS where I
could easily make my own AMI offline and knowing how to work AWS to be
cost comparative wouldn't bother me.

1. http://libcloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/compute/drivers/vultr.html
2. https://www.vultr.com/benchmarks/
3. http://blog.due.io/2014/linode-digitalocean-and-vultr-comparison/