[ale] No swap is better than swap

DjPfulio DjPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Jan 5 08:01:17 EST 2016

My desktop's get a little swap. This is usually based upon whether I'm going to hibernate or not.  If no hibernation 2gig of swap is fine.  I want the desktop to slow down as RAM is becoming scarce. That's what swap does without running out of memory. On highly limited netbooks that only have 2 gigs of ram ,  I find 4 gig of swap as the minimum required. This is mainly due to browser memory bloat.

 My servers that have well-known workloads don't get any swap usually. If I don't know the workload when first installed, I'll provide a little swap and monitor it.

It really comes down to how well you know the workload for the system. To swap or not to swap is up to you. But there is a trade off, IMHO.