[ale] Backup questions -- what to back up?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Feb 29 20:59:30 EST 2016

On 02/29/2016 04:43 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Do you kick the rpm dump from the backup or just a cron job?  I suppose
> the package list isn't really modified frequently, so worst case you're
> off by a day (if you care about specific versions).

I grab selected things daily and include those in the backup. They are each
tiny, but critical. Sure - the data should be elsewhere too, but ....

The generated files:
blkid.list  crontab.root  dpkg.list  mdadm-details.md1  parted.list
crontab.jd  df.list       lshw.list  mdadm-details.md2  parted.new

As these files change daily, I have a daily record of what changes happened, not
just what I did.  Having a current list of the system hardware **is** really
handy sometimes.  Plus it has the exact driver used at the time spelled out.
 Lots of people forget to backup their personal crontabs. Sometimes that isn't
important - other times it is absolutely critical.  The root crontab could
easily be in /etc/ --- actually, that would be better.

That list of files changes slightly depending on the system.