[ale] Backup questions -- what to back up?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 16:19:23 EST 2016

On Mon, 2016-02-29 at 15:52 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I should have said that this is for daily, automated backups, however
> my
> expectation is that I would only restore for disaster recovery.  So I
> guess my questions remain:
>
> - what exactly do you backup?
> - what specifically do you exclude?
>
> In terms of your package lists, do you just do the equivalent of "rpm
> -qa
> >
> > sort > /root/package-list" when the backup begins (or perhaps at a
> > daily
> cron job)?  Or do you do something... different?
That works just fine. The anaconda install file gets backed up and can
easily be turned into a new install master kickstart. Add the rpms from
the rpm -qa list and you're ready to go.
> Do you exclude e.g. the RPM (or apt) package directory/database?  Or do
> you exclude all of /var/lib?

No. A disaster restore is a fresh install plus recovery of config files
and user/system data. Let rpm "do it's thing".
> Also, how do you handle programs that might not have been installed by the
> package manager?  Do you install those manually after a restore?  Or do
> you add them to the backup?

Depends on the complexity. Often those are in the user dirs as src
files so a 'make install' is all that's needed to put them back. I do
backup config files so the restore will put those back.
Think of this way - fasted way back to running for me is a fresh
install or all packaged goods, restore of system config files (/etc),
reboot (now machine has correct "personality"), restore user files,
rerun make install as required, restore custom config files, reboot, go
home.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain