[ale] Today's lesson: rdiff-backup restores

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Feb 23 10:37:28 EST 2016

Yep – all sorts of ways to do things.

One could sync a  live storage array to another storage array without doing standard backups (e.g. EMC’s SRDF or Hitachi’s Shadow Image).

One could create another server that has same setup as original and simply copy differences (e.g. rsync) periodically.

I worked at one place where we’d setup the same database on separate servers but ran the remote in “standby” mode.   On the primary we had full archive logging running and shipped all logs to the remote as they were written.   We’d apply the logs to that standby database on a 6 hour delay.   (This gave us time to stop the logs from being applied if we determined the Production server had something bad in the logs such as an accidental full table delete.)   In the event of a failure of Production we could accelerate application of the logs on the standby database so we didn’t have to wait 6 hours to get up and running.

Regardless of how you do it, generally speaking also having offsite media like tapes is a good thing for portability and archiving of older images.