[ale] Today's lesson: rdiff-backup restores

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:01:27 EST 2016

Most of our data is very static. More archival than not.

Excuse me while I snicker about the "big boys" "dedupe copy". :-)

No. Bacula doesn't have a dedupe process. Vaulting, IMHO, is nothing more
than an intermediate copy - I've seen it used as a spinning rust hot backup
with great success. Bacula can create that and later archive to slower
media - tape, optical, MO, no paper (yet).

I think of dedupe at the block level. For my uses, the RAM cost is far
higher than a cron job that scours user write space for copies of large,
archived input data sets instead of links.