[ale] ATT internet black hole. Any advice?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Feb 22 11:15:00 EST 2016

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 02:00:36 -0500
Stephen Towler <stowler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have advice on how to motivate ATT to make good on residential
> internet claims? I moved from Atlanta to Florida in November only
> after ATT assured me that our rural Florida home qualified for 12 MB
> service (per line characteristics, not just geographical estimates).

Welcome to Florida, Stephen!

Living just north of Orlando, I use Brighthouse Cable for my Internet.
It's 20Mb down and about .8Mb up, and it usually works. Of course, when
I got the service they laid all new cable in my lawn, so that helps.
I'm paying about $60/month.

[snip symptom description and possible ATT solutions]

> Would love advice on how to appeal to the right group or contact
> within ATT.

Write all your legislators about your situation. Let them know what
they're doing every time they vote to outlaw city sponsored Internet
and vote against Net Neutrality, and every time they fail to classify
Internet a utility. Your lightbulbs light up at your house, right?
That's what utility classification gets you: They can't cherry pick
urbanites at your expense.

Write President Obama. He's said stuff in the past about providing real
Internet to rural people.

None of these things will help *you*, but if everyone had done these
things from the beginning, you wouldn't be in the shape you're in now.

> I quit my Atlanta job and moved down here to go indy,

Cool. You just quit being a job consumer and started being a job
creator. Write our (Florida's) worthless governor, telling him that
while he's granting all these tax advantages to megacorporations who
make very few jobs, you're being strangled in your ability to grow and
hire.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key