[ale] How can I get hostnames on a very temporary LAN?

Sam Rakowski devnull at iamdevnull.info
Fri Feb 19 06:17:07 EST 2016

On Fri, February 19, 2016 06:10, Jim Lynch wrote:
> For a special purpose I'm going to have a Netgear router not connected
> to the internet for local communications using DHCP.  I'll have a server
> connected via Ethernet and clients using mostly WIFI. I've seen times
> where in similar setups something assigns a host name to the server.  In
> those cases, I can connect to the server via a host name rather than an
> IP address.  I'd like to do that for this situation.  I can't seem to
> find the right words to get a search engine to tell me how.  I'm not
> running a DNS server.
>
> I'm thinking the server might be advertising the name but I don't really
> know how it all happens.

You might be thinking of something like DNSmasq[1].

Consider running a DNS server, though. There are simpler ones, like
djbdns[2] that might only take 30 minutes to get running.

1 - http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html
2 - https://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

--
4057 0DA0 0983 FFA1 8756  670F 754A 0CB9 A367 275B
http://devnull.iamdevnull.info/devnull.gpg