[ale] Bacula backup gathering?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Feb 16 11:52:13 EST 2016

Hi,

On Tue, February 16, 2016 11:01 am, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 02/16/2016 10:23 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> DJ-Pfulio <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> writes:
>>
>>> Best, easier, how-to:
>>> https://www.kirya.net/articles/backups-using-rdiff-backup/ Use the
>>> "pull" method for greater security.
>>
>> Only concern with rdiff-backup is the inability to encrypt the backups
>> (Data at Rest encryption).
>>

> Excellent point.  encfs solves it.  Small tools that do one job well?
> Sure, it
> is another step and some people don't like more steps. Nothing wrong with
> that
> at all, provided it all works correctly.

Well, it does mean it's no longer a "pull" method; I would need to convert
this to a "push" model in order to "push" the backup through encfs.  I
suppose I could do this by having a dedicated backup server that is
different than the backup storage.  It could use something like NFS (wth
encfs layered over it) to the storage server, and then it could
rdiff-backup "pull" from the target servers and store it into the
encfs/NFS storage.

Considering my storage server is FreeNAS, I dont think I can use it as the
rdiff-backup pull server.

I wonder how much RAM/CPU would be required for this?  I wonder if I could
use a low-power ARM board?

> I thought that most enterprise tape drives had HW encryption built in?

I'm not using tape, myself, so this is mostly irrelevant.

> We're all looking for "the best" backup tool for our personal values of
> "the
> best." The search continues?

Yep.  It does.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745