[ale] kde question

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:14:31 EST 2016

Comments in line:

On Mon, 2016-02-15 at 07:19 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:

> You don't want epel-debug or epel-source so don't edit the file.

Okay, I will stop trying.

> Selinux will block the permission change. To edit you must use sudo or become root with su.

here is partial output from ls -al on /etc/yum.repos.d:

-rw-rw-rw-.   1 root     root    957 Nov 25  2014 epel.repo
-rw-rw-rw-.   1 root     root   1056 Nov 25  2014 epel-testing.repo

My limited understanding of the terminology is that when user is listed
as rw, the user can read and write to the file. Obviously, I made the
change as root.

> If rpm says kdepim is installed, run rpm -qi kdepim for info. Should get same same data from yum info kdepim.
>
> If you still don't see it, try yum search pim

Tried both of these.  Both provide a lot of data -- in fact everything I
didn't need and not the one thing I do need:  where the hell did yum
hide the damn file.  <yum search pim> apparently reports what is
available on the repos. The list includes devel, lib, and runtime files,
along with the main file (kdepim.x86_64), which yum insists is installed
on the box.  If it were not installed, <yum remove myfile> would not
report the hoops it jumps through to erase the file and its
dependencies.

Sean