[ale] I'm totally stumped with an ssl connection error

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Sun Feb 14 04:02:16 EST 2016

On 2/13/2016 07:27 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Is it possible the server is using encryption methods now deemed
> unsuitable and some browsers are flagging that as a connection error?

That was my first thought, also.

A few more observations:

1.  Here it fails on FF on both Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.10, but the error
is different:

An error occurred during a connection to gaares.org. SSL received a
record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code:
ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

2.  If you're on Ubuntu 14.04, there was an Apache update on about Jan
27 or 28.  Could the problem have started after that upgrade was applied?

3.  I also note (as did Allen) that going to http://gaares.org:443/
returns a valid page, but it looks to me like it's returning the parent
of the default page (i.e. /var/www).  Going into the html directory in
that index produces the Apache2 Ubuntu Default page.  This seems to
point to a config error of some kind for gaares.org on port 443.  Going
via the ip address (i.e. http://107.189.47.100:443/ produces the
expected "Bad Request] Your browser sent a request that this server
could not understand. Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an
SSL-enabled server port.  Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this
URL, please." (which is what you would expect to get from
http://gaares.org:443/).

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net | For the wise man, doing right trumps