[ale] Dell Ispirion B130 laptop with 2GBdisk and 2GB memory (max)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Feb 3 13:04:01 EST 2016

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 00:51:16 -0500
Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have few old systems around. Pentium MMX 200 MHz 16 MB RAM. Pentium
> II 300 and Pentium III 550 also "newer :)" Pentium III 850 Mhz. Could
> do some testing for acurate results.

Cool!

When installing Void on an anemic machine, here are the most important
(and least documented) tips:

* Download and use the live CD that has no X. The ones with Xfce or
  LXDE or Cinnamon or whatever cannot install on 128MB RAM.

* Log in as root, password voidlinux.

* Run the void-installer program. It's amazing how few documentation
  sources give you this program's name.

* When asked whether you want sources from the Internet or CDROM,
  choose Internet. If you do otherwise, your software will be old, and
  after the install you'll need to do a gargantuatuan xbps-install -Su,
  which is just like apt-get update;apt-get upgrade.

* Unexpected behavior on the installer: After you've carved up the
  disk into mountpoints, the only way out of the subscreen is cancel or
  needs to be to carve up the disk again. Just advance the highlight
  manually and keep on going.

* After rebooting into your new Void system, install X and some
  handy tools as follows:

    xbps-install xorg lxde xterm screen vim midori hexchat

* After you change ~/.xinitrc to exec /usr/bin/lxsession, if X doesn't
  start, make sure that /usr/libexec/Xorg.wrap is owned by root,
  executable by all, and suid root. In other words,
  "-rwsr-xr-x". This is *especially* true if you can run X as root but
  not as a normal user.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key