[ale] chmod

Sean kilpatms at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 10:22:55 EST 2016

Thanks for all the hints.  Most of this stuff I already knew.

On changing perms, I couldn't make the changes -- even as root.

I think the ultimate point of friction is the MAC OS.  It is somehow locking
these files with some sort of attribute I do not understand or know how to
disclose -- but one that the FAT file system on the thumb drive passes on.

I try to avoid recursive mode (with rare and careful exception) because of the
risk of unintended consequences.  It's sorta like moving from a .22 rifle to a
10 gauge shotgun. There are consequences! And they can disrupt your day.

Sean