[ale] chmod

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Dec 27 23:13:24 EST 2016

FAT doesn't support POSIX permissions, but NTFS **can** if userid to
MSFT-UUID is accomplished. It sucks to set up and maintain that mapping,
BTW.  Either NFS or Samba can be mapped.

Don't forget that files are case sensitive.

Don't forget that directories must have 'x' permissions.

Don't forget that ACLs may exist which mean all permissions normally
expected can be overridden completely.

Don't forget that read-only mounts won't change anything.

Don't forget that only the file owner or root can change permissions.
I've never seen a group be able to change permissions, though if the
group has write permissions to the directory, it isn't hard to copy the
file, which will make the new userid "owner" and do whatever you like.

Do get any real help, we need to see an **\ls -al .** on the directory
and files. Then we might ask to see the ACLs too.