[ale] chmod

Sean kilpatms at comcast.net
Tue Dec 27 19:06:15 EST 2016

I am confused -- which is nothing new.
Running Fedora 24 on this laptop w/kernel 4.8.14, and CentOS  7.2 on my big
box.
In the past the following command has changed the perms within a directory of
.JPG files so that all of those files have the same perms:

chmod 660 *.JPG

Now it doesn't. On CentOS.  Works just fine on this laptop w/Fedora 24 -- ON
SOME DIRECTORIES!!! just not on the directories I need to have this work on.

Specifically, I have some pix taken with an i-phone. They were transferred to
a thumb drive and then to this laptop. The perms read: -rw-r--r-- and I want
them to read: -rw-rw-r--   I would like to change the perms on both the thumb
drive AND on the laptop.s hard drive.

I've looked through the man page and, as is often the case, been unable to
glean a clue.

A clue would be appreciated.

How do I change the perms from -rw-r--r-- on a set of jpg files within a
single directory to -rw-rw-r--  ?  And have it stick?

sean