[ale] useful!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 09:10:34 EST 2016

I was unclear in my initial post.

Yum apparently can search the repos for package names that contain strings
matching the requested string even if they are not installed.

Dnf seems to be hit or miss when I test on uninstalled packages. Just
tested on a fedora25 system for the uninstalled girl binary. I get proper
results for 'girl' as well as '/usr/bin/girl'. It fails on semanage but is
ok for /usr/sbin/semanage. Tests for installed binaries are similar. Some
show results for pathless binary while most require path.

Bash can offer to install a package if you try to run an uninstalled
command. I'm thinking there's an additional boolean in rpmdb for one word
search for binary and not all packages are on that list.