[ale] XenServer 7.x problem - anyone else using it?

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Aug 5 22:27:59 EDT 2016

I don't no if it's related, but I have two server xenserver 7 cluster with iSCSI shared storage. ON node was upgraded from 6.5, and the other node was removed and reinstalled to the cluster due to firm issues, which were later resolved with a firmaware update.
They bothe worked fine for a while, but then at some point recently, I become unable to start any servers on the node I had reinstalled. The strange thing is, If I start a vm on the other node, it will migrate and run just fine on the node it would not start on .
I wasn't seeing any errors with cursory checks. The vm would appear to start, then when it would have started boot after power-on, it would just power off.

After I read your email, I did vdisplay commands on both servers, and a number of virtual disks showed not available on both servers. I need to check further, but it may have been because the vm's were up and running on the opposite server.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Beddingfield, Allen" <allen at ua.edu> 8/5/2016 4:33 PM >>>
I have a PowerEdge R815 with XenServer 7 installed.  I am using the internal storage for VM storage (just a standalone server).
I've created a SLES 12 SP1 VM (using the template provided).  Everything goes fine, I can load up the OS, patch it, do whatever with no problems.  However, if I power the VM down, I can't start it back.
I get "The SR failed to complete the operation".
If I ssh into the Xen server and run "lvdisplay", it shows the status as "NOT available" - see below:

[root at xentest01 ~]# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/VG_XenStorage-bebcb0ae-252f-5c52-ca61-9e66b0aa5869/MGT
  LV Name                MGT
  VG Name                VG_XenStorage-bebcb0ae-252f-5c52-ca61-9e66b0aa5869
  LV UUID                Cz6tVV-rCJp-Acu9-zC0T-PEo3-5tT3-2WLzsa
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time xentest01, 2016-08-05 10:22:13 -0500
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                4.00 MiB
  Current LE             1
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           253:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/VG_XenStorage-bebcb0ae-252f-5c52-ca61-9e66b0aa5869/VHD-9ebd5bf6-4613-4fc6-9aa0-738496dae1c9
  LV Name                VHD-9ebd5bf6-4613-4fc6-9aa0-738496dae1c9
  VG Name                VG_XenStorage-bebcb0ae-252f-5c52-ca61-9e66b0aa5869
  LV UUID                vOZwtO-vuCF-WM26-hz3P-hghQ-dlsx-k5ZOvZ
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time xentest01, 2016-08-05 14:08:25 -0500
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                20.05 GiB
  Current LE             5132
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto

[root at xentest01 ~]#

When I try to activate it, I get the following:

[root at xentest01 ~]# vgchange -a y
  Operation prohibited while global/metadata_read_only is set.
  Operation prohibited while global/metadata_read_only is set.
  1 logical volume(s) in volume group "VG_XenStorage-bebcb0ae-252f-5c52-ca61-9e66b0aa5869" now active
[root at xentest01 ~]#

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I've never had this issue with previous XenServer installs, but this is my first with 7.x.  FYI, I can readily reproduce this.  EVERY time I load a server and try this, I get the exact same result.

Thanks.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield