[ale] ISCSI array on virtual machine

Jeff Jansen bamakojeff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:31:28 EDT 2016

Using LVM costs you almost nothing and it offers tremendous advantages.
Even if you don't need those advantages now, having them available for free
(or nearly) is a great asset as a sysadmin.

Over five years we had a backup system that began as a single hard drive in
a single machine, which became a RAID array in a single machine, which
became two RAID arrays in two machines connected by DRBD and a crossover
cable, which became multiple RAID arrays in multiple HA machines across a
WAN.

Having LVM as part of the underlying architecture made all those changes,
while not "easy," much easier than it would have been without it.  If you
use LVM but then never change partition on the 8 TB drive, you'll never
know it's there, and it will never cause you any trouble.  But if you do
ever decide to make changes, you will be immensely grateful for the
possibilities it opens up for you.

HTH

Jeff