[ale] Lab Workstation Mystery

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 11:48:29 EDT 2016

I'm at home this morning on an ubuntu 15.10 system with a local home
directory and no autofs. Ps shows that all 4 of those processes are
running for me -- systemd, (sd-pam), ibus-daemon, and ibus-dconf. BTW, I
googled for sd-pam and it looks like that is a fork/rename of the
systemd process intended to desstroy the session. ie., sd-pam means
"session destroy pam".  Apparently, when you fork/rename a process, you
can rename it whatever you like including putting parens around the
name. But those parens don't mean anything.

I suspect ubuntu starts a per-user systemd process.  The one thing that
might be non-standard for my users is that the default window manager is
gnome, not unity. I'll have to experiment with that. Another thing I'll
have to try is to uninstall the screen reader. I've mentioned before
that I am blind. You can press Alt+Super+s to start the screen reader at
the lightdm login screen. I don't *think* that requires a special
process to run unless you actually use the hotkey. Most of my end-users
would not be firing up the screen reader so I doubt it has anything to
do with that.

But I'll have to do a straight up install of ubuntu and log in to unity
as a local user and then log out. The log out part might be tricky. I
might have to get sighted assistance to do that. Oh, as I write this, it
occurs to me that there is probably a hotkey in unity to log out. So set
up a plain vanilla system, log in, log out, and see if those processes
hang around.