[ale] Lab Workstation Mystery

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 11:32:02 EDT 2016

The first thing I did was add that option to the nfs mount in the autofs
config. I thought it didn't work but back then   I didn't have as good
of a handle on the problem as I do now.  I found bug reports related to
the default timeout for aufs not working. The bug reports said the
timeout worked if you set itimplicitly for each share in the autofs
config files. But that turned out being another red-herring.

I am pretty sure this is a systemd problem. I just did an experiment --
I killed off the processes left over after a user logged out on 3
different workstations but I did not unmount their home directory. Each
of the 3 had the same 4 processes running, systemd,(sd-pam),
ibus-daemon, and ibus-dconf. All I did was kill off those 4 processes
and after the usual time, the automounter unmounted their home
directory. So I am about as sure as I can be that this is not an
automounter or nfs problem. It's systemd not killing off those processes
when a user logs out.

Three days -- so far so good.