[ale] Lab Workstation Mystery

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 12:52:26 EDT 2016

I posted about this problem a couple of weeks ago and still have not
figured it out. The problem is that on a group of machines running
ubuntu 15.10, after a period of time, mounting home directories via NFS
hangs. Attempting to mount or unmount home directories via NFS simply
hangs. Eventually, the root filesystem getsremounted read-only and the
machine becomes unusable even as a local user. One thing I've discovered
since my first post about this is that when end-users log out, some
processes do not get killed off. The automounter can't umount the home
directory because the user still has some processes running. Eventually,
the machine has several home directories mounted via NFS for users who
are no longer logged in. I am thinking that what is happening is that
eventually this causes NFS to get wedged which in turn leads to the
kernel freaking out. Or something. Here is an example of the output from
listing the processes for a user who has logged out:

# ps -u enduser1
     PID TTY          TIME CMD
  101794 ?        00:00:00 systemd
  101795 ?        00:00:00 (sd-pam)
  103049 ?        00:00:00 ibus-daemon
  103057 ?        00:00:00 ibus-dconf

So frequently, even though a user has logged out days ago, the systemd
and ibus-deamon might still be running. I am thinking after enough time,
these things mess up the nfsv4 kernel module which eventually messes up
the kernel itself.

But why would logging out *not* killoff all of an end-user's processes?