[ale] loosing my mind

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Apr 7 10:04:31 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Byron Jeff <byronjeff at clayton.edu> wrote:

> Dustin,
>
> Take another look. It's 89% packet loss. Also it took 856 seconds to
> transfer 857 packets, of which only 93 got through.
>
> Even if only 11% packets were lost, with that latency, anything using TCP

would back off enough that the transfer rate would be abysmal.

Unless special flags are specified, ping puts a 1 second interval between
packets, so (n-1) seconds is the expected time.
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.427/1.823/23.028/2.220 ms  shows an average 1.823
ms RTT, so the latency actually looks great :)

> BAJ
>
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 09:50:00PM -0400, Dustin Strickland wrote:
> >    89% f the messge getting thrgh isn't terribl It's only missing 11 of
> >    the dta. Probby noting to wry about.
> >
> >    On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Pete Hardie <[1]pete.hardie at gmail.com
> >
> >    wrote:
> >
> >    I feel for you.
> >    I once had to diagnose a faulty backup (as in spare bandwidth, not
> >    data) network myself.  I scolded the customer's network techs, saying
> >    that if a *software* guy found your fallback network was losing 30% of
> >    its messages, you must be a poor hardware guy....
> >
> >    On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Jim Kinney <[2]jim.kinney at gmail.com>
> >    wrote:

> >    (emailed to the user), Incident state, Work notes []
> >    Public notes (emailed to the user)  The port doesn't exhibit any signs
> >    of degradation. If there is anything further we can help you with,
> just
> >    let us know, I will leave this ticket open
> >    Incident state: Work in Progress  was: Assigned
> >    Work notes  --- 170.140.138.106 ping statistics ---
> >    857 packets transmitted, 93 received, 89% packet loss, time 856137ms
> >    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.427/1.823/23.028/2.220 ms
> >
> > As proof of everything working fine, <Tier 1 support person> attached a
> record o
> > f a ping test showing 89% packet loss.
> >
> > I can't bang my head on my desk any more today. I'm going out for
> alcohol.
> >
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> >
> > Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> > gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his
> > own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> > - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
> >

> --
> Byron A. Jeff
> Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information
> Technology
> College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
> Clayton State University
> http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff

David Tomaschik